Abbotsford Soccer Association are in full support of the Long-Term Player Development (LTPD) which is a Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) soccer-specific adaptation of the Long-Term Athlete Development model (LTAD) developed by Canadian Sport Centres. LTAD is a scientific model for periodized athlete training and development that respects and utilizes the natural stages of physical, mental, and emotional growth in athletes, and it has already been adopted by major sports organizations in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada.
LTPD is designed to:
- Promote lifelong enjoyment of physical activity.
- Provide a structured player development pathway.
- Describe best practices for elite player development.
- Create long-term excellence.
Benefits of Long-Term Player Development (LTPD)
LTPD is a program for soccer player development, training, competition, and recovery based on biological age (i.e. physical maturity) rather than chronological age. It is player centred, coach driven, and administration, sport science, and sponsor supported.
- Eliminates gaps in the player development system.
- Guides planning for optimal athlete performance at all stages.
- Provides a framework for program alignment and integration, from volunteer club coaches to national and professional teams.
- Follows scientific principles and practical coaching experiences.
Benefits for players & parents:
- Better understanding of what makes a good soccer program.
- More players learning at their level and having fun.
- Appropriate game and league structures (e.g. size of balls, goals, field etc.).
- More opportunity for players to realize their athletic potential.
- More coaches who are knowledgeable in leading safe, effective practices.
Benefits for coaches & clubs:
- Information and education on effective coaching and practice methods.
- Guidelines for appropriate game structures.
- Guidelines on appropriate competition levels.
- Established pathways for player development for all levels of ability and ambition.
- Affirmation of best practices for coaches and club administrators.
Benefits for all:
- Competitive behaviour is fostered in players, while over-competitive behaviour is discouraged in adults (e.g. coaches and parents).
- Players, parents, coaches, and administrators understand that players are unique and therefore different in interest and aptitude.
- Players stay involved in the sport throughout their lives (as players, coaches, referees or club administrators).
- Soccer grows, and lifelong wellness is promoted for players of all ages, genders, and levels of ability and disability.
The Canadian Soccer LTPD model, Wellness to World Cup is designed to optimize Canadian excellence and lifelong wellness through soccer. By ensuring fun playing experiences for children, a suitable player development pathway for youth and opportunities for lifelong participation for all players regardless of age, gender, ability or disability, LTPD provides a framework for the growth of the beautiful game in Canada.
LTPD – Canadian Soccer Coaches Resources
- Canada Soccer Pathway: LTPD Community Guide
- Canada Soccer Pathway: Coach’s Toolkit Stage One: Active Start
- Canada Soccer Pathway: Coach’s Toolkit Stage Two: FUNdamentals
- Canada Soccer Pathway: Coach’s Toolkit Stage Three: Learning to Train
- Wellness to World Cup